Lion Dance

My student's Mom invited us to attend a lion dance at my student's elementary school one morning. Two men in the costume danced around in a traditional fashion to the drummers' rhythm. If you can endure the lion dance and look it in the face without getting scared it's good luck and you are considered brave. A lot of the children got freaked out as the lion face got close to them, but some of them took courage and faced it without fear! It was really cute and fun to watch the dance and all the children's reactions.




Mike was allowed to put his head in the lion costume, but I wasn't because girls are forbidden for some reason.

My student Hayato.

Here is Mike putting his head in the costume. Men are treated much differently than women in Japan. Much more so than in America. But I didn't want to put my head in that sweaty thing anyway. :)


0 comments: